Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Sunday, September 2, 2012

At the Cinema: PARANORMAN


ParaNorman is a sweet little gem of a movie and isn't just for the undead.

Norman can talk to ghosts which makes him a social pariah, even his family think he's a bit of a nut job. But what he doesn't know is that a witch's curse on his small New England town is about to come to light and he's the only one who can put it right.

ParaNorman is a beautifully crafted animated film. Visually this film is a stunner. It is slightly off centre, or abnormal (pardon the pun) with its cast of uniquely drawn characters. People aren't beautiful in this film. People are layered with big noses and crooked eyes and ill-shaped earlobes, but put that altogether and you get something that is just sublime to look at. The look of the film trumps the actual story. Not to say the story isn't well written. It is a fine film, but I do think it lacked a more concrete conflict. I never really believed that Norman or the town were in any real danger.

For those with kids I would say it's not for young children. I would venture to guess that 10 and up would enjoy the film, but a toddler might be scared. And it's definitely an entertaining film for adults.

When we finally do meet the witch (one of the loveliest animation sequences that I have ever seen) who was killed during the witch trials of the 18th century we get to know more about where she came from and why she is doing what she's doing, and it's quite touching. This film has a lot of heart and is a lot more sweet than I thought it would be. It touches upon a lot of themes. Themes kids can relate to like bullying, loneliness, and feeling out of place. But it doesn't do it in a heavy handed way.

If you haven't seen this film then you're missing out. It'll probably be out in time for Halloween and I would definitely recommend watching it on such a ghoulish night where the zombies, witches and ghosts come out to play!

8/10
A-

No comments:

Post a Comment