Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Sunday, July 1, 2012

MOVIE: TED (The proof is in the stuffing)


"F**K you THUNDER!"

TED is an R-rated comedy by the screwed up mind of Seth MacFarlane (Family Guy) and I do so enjoy his mind.

John Bennett is a lonely little boy and one Christmas he wishes that his stuffed teddy bear was real and then voila! Holy Shit! It happens. His parents reaction is hilarious! And the hilarity continues throughout the film. John as an adult (Mark Wahlberg)is still a bit of a child. He has a dead end job and smokes pot all the time with Ted (who grew up to a foul mouthed bear). The one good thing in John's life is his girlfriend Lori Collins (Mila Kunis) who loves that John has such a big heart. She's just had enough of Ted living with them. Ted drinks. Smokes pot. Invites hookers over (no spoilers, but the hooker scene is pretty funny and gross, which is a MacFarlane speciality). So, of course, John has to choose.

What I liked most about this film was the bromance between the two. A real man and a stuffed animal truly are best friends in this film and their relationship feels real and genuine. And when Ted is in mortal danger it pulled at my heartstrings. Even though you know it's a bear, sorry he's a stuffed bear, you can't help but root for him! The CGI bear is top notch and looks great. A lot better than most big budget action films out there.

If you like foul mouths and raunchy material then head on over to the multi-plex. Laugh in your cola and spit in your popcorn. It'll knock the stuffing right out of your face!

8/10
A-


No comments:

Post a Comment