Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Book Review: CINDER by Marissa Meyer


Cinder is a cyborg and a citizen of New Beijing, but she is not treated as an equal to humans, despite the fact that she's only about 35% cyborg. Cinder is a mechanic who works in the market and all her money goes to her stepmother and stepsisters who have guardianship over her. She's basically a slave to them. One day Prince Kai, in disguise, comes to visit her stall and asks her to fix his beloved android, thus setting in motion the plot of a sci-fi tale about Cinderella (loosely based).

I love YA fiction and for the last few years have been obsessed with dystopian tales. This one has somewhat of a dystopian feel but it's not that genre. The world is new, but people still have their basic freedoms. It's set in the future where earth has been at peace for over a 100 years after WWIV, but the earth has been divided up into 6 countries in total. The story takes place in the Eastern Commonwealth. The biggest threat to mankind is not one another but two things: The Lunar people who inhabit the moon and have great powers of mind control and could destroy mankind and a deadly virus, letumosis, plagues the world.

It took me a while to get into the story, but once I let myself fall into this well crafted world, I was hooked. We all pretty much know the story of Cinderella and how it turns out, but it doesn't follow that path exactly. Cinder is more than just a damsel in distress. She is a deeply layered and confused young woman who discovers secrets about herself through the story. She's not what she seems even to herself.

Marissa Meyer is a fine writer who has created a believable world with characters who are multi-faceted and genuine. I had a feeling the story wouldn't end as the book came to a close. It seems that book publishers are only looking for trilogies or series at the moment, which is fine because I look forward to reading more, as I am the kind of gal who was never invited to the ball.

8/10
A-

No comments:

Post a Comment