Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Movie: Moonrise Kingdom



Quirky. Whimsical. Nostalgic. Sentimental.

Moonrise Kingdom (which for some reason I keep calling Monsoon Rising) is a really sweet film. The characters are well thought out and conceived and felt truly unique. Despite their quirkiness and sometimes out there behaviour they felt quite real and genuine. Wes Anderson's direction is nuanced and stylized. The look of the film is perfect to the time and the story about first love. I think you have to enjoy Anderson's work or be a fan of films that have a slower pace to really like the film.
Anderson takes the time to linger on moments and by doing this he creates the mood: A nostalgic mood that takes one back to a more innocent time. Weren't we all innocent (no matter of decade) when we first fell in love?

B+

No comments:

Post a Comment