Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Book Review: Perfect Fifths by Megan McCafferty

I have reached the end of my love affair with Jessica Darling and it's been swell. It started off strong and may have ended a bit rocky, but I'm forever glad that I got to know her.

The fifth and final book in the Jessica Darling series is one long conversation between Jessica and her first love Marcus Flutie. They literally bump into each other at the airport and proceed to spend the next few hours catching up and skirting the issue of love, sex and soul mates. Jessica has grown in the last decade, but a part of her will always be that awkward angst ridden teen (I think we all are to some degree). I was just hoping for a bigger and better sendoff for Jessica. The book feels like it would work better as a stage play as it relies on dialogue to tell the story for the most part.

I don't believe in soul mates. I used to, once upon a time, but I grew up. Marcus and Jessica believe in such things despite their sarcastic and cynical natures. Is their belief enough to bring them actually together? What do you think?

7/10
B-

No comments:

Post a Comment