Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Book Review: Fourth Comings by Megan McCafferty

Jessica Darling has completed college and she's looking for a real job while sharing a room known as the cupcake with her best friend Hope. Hope's got the top bunk. There is one more book to go in the life of Jessica Darling and I am looking forward to its end, but I also know that it'll be bittersweet as I've grown to really like this character. Jessica is great. But I have to admit that Fourth Comings is a weak book.

Fourth Comings takes place over a week as Jessica decides whether or not to accept her boyfriend Marcus's marriage proposal that came out of the blue just as she was contemplating breaking up with him. The book is written as journal entries that are for Marcus's eyes only so there is a lot of "you" references. We, the reader, are really Marcus, the you.

Although the books prior to this were light on plot this one is pretty non-existent. A whole book dedicated to a 22-year-old deciding to marry or break up with her boyfriend is not very interesting, despite a cast of characters who are familiar and fun. I would say that the fourth book is the weakest and I just hope that book five ends the series on a high note.

6 out of 10.
C+

No comments:

Post a Comment