Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Movie Review: The Cabin the Woods aka stick to the city kids!


A weekend getaway. 5 young people (5 archetypes if you will). Sex. Drugs. And Beer! The perfect set up for blood and mayhem.

The Cabin in the Woods is a film best enjoyed if you don't know much going into it. So I'll keep this review spoiler free by making myself the focal point of this review.

I am a Joss Whedon fan and he's the reason why I went to see this film. The only reason really as I don't much care for horror films. The dialogue is classic Whedon, sarcastic and witty with lots of humor. I laughed out loud quite a few times. I also had to grab my boyfriend's hand a couple of times when I was worried that the horror would be too much, but it never really was. Sure there's guts and blood, but the premise and the dialogue are really what the story is all about.

If you're a Whedon fan you'll enjoy seeing some of the actors from Whedon's tv shows (I won't say who or what roles they play) and even if you're not well versed in the Whedon lore, there's enough bloodshed and laughs to keep you content.


7.8
B+


The film is Cowritten by Whedon (along with its directorDrew Goddard)

1 comment:

  1. Good review. This is a hell of a fun movie that features twists that got better and better as the film went on. It’s crazy that horror films can be this fun and entertaining just by smart and witty writing. However, it won’t last for too long so we might as well enjoy it while Whedon and Goodard are around.

    ReplyDelete