Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Monday, April 30, 2012

Book Review: Charmed Thirds by Megan McCafferty


Jessica Darling is going to Columbia no matter what her parents say, even if she's dead broke by the end of her 4 years there. Jessica is as neurotic as ever and still struggling through the ups and downs of young adult life.

Jessica excels in her classes, but she's unsure as to what she's going to do with a degree in psychology since she doesn't want to be a doctor.

Again this story is about character rather than plot. And thankfully Jessica is still a likable yet flawed protagonist, which makes her all the more endearing and real. I love her sense of self because half the time she has no idea what she's doing or feeling. I can most certainly relate. No matter how old one gets, we're always evolving and questioning where we are and who we are. It's natural. I just wish we could all do it with sarcastic wit like Jessica does.

I will say that, at times, I wanted to wring her neck for her stupid choices, but if she didn't make those stpid choices then I wouldn't enjoy her so much.

I've picked up Book 4 (there are 5 altogether) and I look forward to seeing where she goes in her 20s.

8/10
A-

No comments:

Post a Comment