Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Friends With Kids: Ovaries, Sex and Complications


I have friends with kids, but I am not the friends with kids. And all the friends in Friends with Kids have kids. Confused?

Friends with Kids is written by, directed by, and starring Jennifer Westfeldt. It's her directorial debut and she's done a great job. Westfeldt plays a woman in her late 30's who wants to have a kid and time is not on her side, so her best friend and womanizer (played by the adorable Adam Scott) offers up his services, but in such a way that it feels fresh. Their other friends who are married with children aren't so keen on two friends having a baby, and raising it together, but living separate lives (dating). They choose to do it this way because they witness what's happened to their married friends who've had kids, and they don't want to be miserable like they are.

The premise has been done before, but there's something delightful and new about this offering. The characters are all fleshed out, and each actor has their moment to shine. The dialogue is genuine and the funny moments stem from truth. There are moments that the language veers toward the vulgar. But the language fits well with the characters because, let's face it, well-rounded, employed, confident adults can use foul language if they want to, and they should.

When Scott and Westfeldt's characters copulate it's hysterical in its awkwardness, and in its tender moments as well. I could relate to a few characters at different times during their journey. These group of friends feel like our collective group of friends. Everyone knows someone or is someone in this film. It's a great night out whether or not you have kids.

8 out of 10
A

No comments:

Post a Comment