Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Sunday, March 11, 2012

BOOK REVIEW: A Million Suns: An Across the Universe Novel by Beth Revis


I have returned to my sci-fi YA fiction addiction with book two in the across the universe trilogy, A Million Suns.

Amy has been unfrozen for three months on the spaceship godspeed that's been travelling hundreds of years from sol-earth through space to reach the new earth that just so happens to be across the universe (see what I did there?). Elder has become leader after the death of Eldest, and he struggles to keep things in check now that the residents of the ship are no longer being secretly drugged (in order to be controlled). And they want a revolution, which Elder doesn't have time for as the engine isn't working at all. They are stuck literally in space. All energy is being diverted to keep godspeed working internally. But there are more secrets to be revealed. Orion (now frozen) has sent Amy on a quest to find the clues that will change the course of godspeed's journey.

I enjoyed this sequel and the chapter structure that continues to go back and forth between Amy and Elder's perspectives. The walls of the ship continue to imprison Amy as she longs for open space and some kind of earth, any earth. She misses her parents who are still frozen and visits them everyday. Her sense of longing and loneliness pops off the page. I am not claustrophobic, but I would be if I were on godspeed. The story is a bit on the long side as I found the clues that Orion left behind to be tedious and repetitive. Why didn't he just tell Amy and Elder what he knew? I understand why the author has chosen to write it the way she has, but it kind of feels like filler and not a mystery that needs to be unraveled.

I am looking forward to the final book that comes out next year and it looks as though a change of scenery for some of the characters is coming. And I am curious as to how the frozens will react once they are unthawed, if that ever happens.

B+
7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment