Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Friday, January 27, 2012

YA REVIEW: The Death Cure by James Dashner



And here we are at book three of this trilogy. I was fairly content with the last two books in the series, but not blown away by them. I find the story, at times, forced into going a certain way. I had hoped that book three would be the one that would tie it altogether and blow me out of the water. It does not.

The book is fine. Neither bad, nor great. I don't see myself remembering much of it in the future. I enjoyed it while reading it, but I couldn't help thinking I am getting cheated out of something better. I also didn't trust the writer, James Dashner. I kept thinking what kind of trick is he going to pull out of his hat now. Is Thomas even who he says he is? Is anyone? Is anything that happens in this book real? I kept thinking that everything is a trial, and once again, we'll be told something that will mean all that happened was just a test. That doesn't quite happen, but when distrust is there in the first place it makes it hard to truly give myself over to the reading experience.

Thomas has survived the maze and the scorch trials, and has reached his boiling point when he ends up at WICKED, the government agency that has been behind his journey. He refuses to go along anymore with their experiments, and (along with some friends) he escapes to a walled city to find out if he can stop WICKED. Oh, and he's immune to the Flare, but still has to run away from (let's face it) zombies.

I had hoped the ending of this story would give more answers, but instead it left me questioning. I wondered why Teresa, who was a major character in the first two books, is relegated to window dressing here. She isn't given the proper amount of story time. Who is Chancellor Paige? She's mentioned and gets to basically end the story, but why? The ending is open ended, so I'm not sure if a future set of books are planned.

Perhaps, I expected too much, after all, I am not the target audience. Then again, does a target audience mean a story shouldn't live up to its potential?

I think teenage boys will like the story the most.

B-
6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment