Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

New Year's Eve was spent at the cinema and it was a bit of a struggle to decide what to see. We ended up deciding on Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows and it was a fairly good decision. The strength of this film is once again on the characters. They are strong and fleshed out and fun to watch. Robert Downey Jr. is a great, albeit odd, Sherlock Holmes, and I can't help but be drawn to him. He's silly and funny, and absolutely brilliant! Jude Law as Watson is also great in his role. He's uptight and conservative and a good foil for Holmes' lunacy. Holmes' plethora of disguises are quite fun to see and at times, completely unnecessary and over the top. Why does he look like the joker when dressed as a woman? Hmmmm.

Now the plot on the other hand was a bit of a mess. I found the first half of the film to be all over the place and lacking a certain focus. The villain, Professor Moriarty (Jared Harris) was good, but I think he could have been a bit more well defined. Holmes is after Moriarty, who plans on starting a war so that he can profit from it, and pursues him to France then to Germany where they have a showdown. I liked their interactions as they are both quite brilliant men. One on the side of good, the other the side of evil.

If you're a fan of the first one and like the way Downey plays Holmes then I think you'll like this film. If you're not a Holmes fan and don't like Guy Ritchie's hyper-stylized way of directing then this might not be for you.

6.8 out of 10C+ with a strong B+ for the acting and the costumes.

2 comments:

  1. For some reason Blogger has changed and I can't make paragraphs. If you know how, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I switched over to the old blogger interface and paragraphs were fixed. I hate the google/gmail changes!!

    ReplyDelete