Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

In YA FICTION: CROSSED by Ally Condie


Cassia has left her hometown, and has ventured out into the world in order to find Ky, the boy she loves. But she has to do this in secret and play the games of the Society in order to get what she wants. Crossed is Part 2 in a trilogy and we continue to follow Cassia as she navigates her way through adolescence in a dysopian universe that controls everything. Every dream. Every thought. Every opinion. Every action is monitored in a way that you don't even know if your life is your own.

I liked the first book, Matched, a bit more than this one. It's still well written, but I found to structure not to my liking. The chapters go back and forth between Cassia and Ky's perspective, (which seems to be a new trend among YA novels of late). And because of this, I kind of feel like the plot gets lost. It feels all rather internal at times. But I do think this is a good love story. It feels true because it's complicated and also it's confusing for all involved, which is how young love actually is. That being said, it's still a good read, and I look forward to the final book, as secrets are yet to be revealed.

Oh, and I am a Xander fan. The one Cassia leaves behind to follow her heart.

B
7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment