Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Book Review: The Virgin Cure written by Ami McKay and Read by me!


Moth is 12. She is bright and beautiful. She is also dirt poor with no prospects. Her mother sells her off to be a maid to a rich wicked woman, and then from there she is scooped up into a brothel that specializes in selling virgins to the highest gentleman bidder.

That premise might sound depressing, but it isn't. Moth is a wonderful character, and one can't help but root for her, and wish the best for her. She goes through her ups and downs, witnessing horrifying things along the way. But she continues to believe in herself, and not in a delusional way that will only lead to more heartache. Moth is well aware of her surroundings and who she is. She has experience beyond her years, and her wits are about her. I fell in love with this girl. She is one of the best literary characters out there today.

McKay has captured the voice of a 12-year-old in 1870's New York City perfectly. I believed that this girl was real and her experiences were genuine. There is not a false note to be had in the book. I was transported to NYC. I could smell Chrystie Street from where Moth came from. I could taste the apples that Moth would sometimes have the pleasure of eating. I saw the rough and callused hands of Dr. Sadie clear as day.

The writing is clear and crisp, and the story is a page turner. And not because it has bells and whistles, and twists and turns. It's a page turner because of Moth. I wanted to know where the path she was on was going to take her, whether it was a happy or sad ending, which I won't give away, didn't matter to me because I knew that wherever she ended up was going to be true. And that's all one can really take away from a book. It's the truth. Moth was true to herself. New York City in 1871 was true to itself. McKay was true to her story.

A Must Read.
A+
9/10

2 comments:

  1. Thoroughly enjoyed your review. Now have this on my "Must Read" book list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete