Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Book Review: Brian Selznick’s Wonderstruck



Ben is a boy in the 1970's grieving over the loss of his mother and searching for a father he never knew, and Rose is a girl in the 1920's longing for her mother, a world famous silent film actress. Ben's story is told with words and Rose's is told with pictures and eventually the two stories intersect somehow.

Brian Selznick (The Invention of Hugo Cabaret) has once again written and illustrated a wonderful children's book (for adults too!). His books are fat and hearty and full of luscious drawings. He's also not a slouch in the prose department. He's created a world that is unique and also a bit mysterious. Both Ben and Rose have hearing impairments, which adds a rich layer of characterization, and opens up the reader to different people and situations.

I really enjoyed this book. It kept my interest as I wanted to know how and why these two stories connected. Brian writes about longing and wanting to belong to something or someone, whether it's friendship, family or our place in this world. It's something that we all relate to. We all want to be accepted and to have a sense of home. This book feels like coming home.

B+
7.5

No comments:

Post a Comment