Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Monday, October 31, 2011

Television Shows to Watch (currently on the air)




Walking Dead
Grimm
Castle
Modern Family
Parks and Rec
The Office
Ringer
Parenthood
Community
Being Erica
Revenge



I watch more than these (30 Rock isn't airing until the new year), but this is just a sampling of some good television. Revenge is a guilty pleasure with some of the worst voice over narration to ever hit the small screen, but it works! It's a deliciously well thought-out soap opera with more depth than what you find in the daytime.

Ringer is a silly stolen identity story about twins run amuck. But it has Sarah Michelle Geller, who will always have a soft spot in my heart as she is Buffy. She belongs on television, and I'm glad she's back.

Being Erica is one of the best shows on television. It's set in Toronto, and its quirky blending of science fiction, drama and comedy is a hit every week. It doesn't hurt that I sometimes, if not all the time, feel like I'm Erica.

Castle has Nathan Fillion, and if you're a Joss Whedon fan then that's enough.

Grimm just aired, and I think I might love it! It's dark and fantastical, but at its core it's also a detective show.

The Walking Dead is still going strong. Just when I think it's losing steam, or is too boring in parts. Wham! It gets ya when you least expect it.

Parenthood is a wonderfully rich, and well written show about a family. It's dramatic and funny in a very natural way. I got to the show late, as I missed the first season, and almost half of the second season, but I stumbled upon it one night last year and boom! I was hooked.

As for comedy shows it's Parks and Rec, The Office and Community (not to mention, how i met your mother, 2 broke girls, happy endings, up all night etc) as they embody wit and sarcasm, and an overall sense of joy.

So that's my short list. Take it or leave it. But I hope you at least watch one.

No comments:

Post a Comment