Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Movie Review: 50/50 is 100% successful.


Most movies about cancer are tragedies. Gut wrenching stories about mother who die (One True Thing), or daughters who die too young (Terms of Endearment), but rarely, from my recollection, have there been movies about friends who get cancer and their journey told through humor with a positive end result. 50/50 is that kind of movie. Adam, played by the adorable, delicious (and my sometimes pretend boyfriend) Joseph Gordon-Levitt, is diagnosed with a rare form of cancer. He's in his 20's and shocked by this diagnosis, and the prognosis of a 50/50 shot at beating it. His best friend, Kyle, played by Seth Rogen who is basically playing Seth Rogen tells him that 50/50 are great odds, and he vows to be there for his friend, which basically consists of telling jokes, trying to get him laid, and ridding his friend of his spineless, weakass girlfriend (Bryce Dallas Howard).

This movie works so well because it feels real. I didn't sense any false moments. I think there is humor when going through a life or death situation. The humor comes naturally from these situations. I laughed out loud throughout, and I also cried. I held back most of the tears since I was in a public place, but there is one moment in particular that just about did me in. The scene involved Adam and his mother, Angelica Houston doing a great job once again, at the hospital. I had to stop myself from going into the ugly cry. It was just one of the most genuine moments that I've ever seen on screen. The actors are these characters, and as with good acting, it rings true. I also enjoyed the scenes between Adam and his therapist in training, Katherine, (Anna Kendrick doing a good job in showing her character's nervousness and imperfections)

The film was written by Will Reiser who based his script on his own real life story. He battled cancer and beat it, and Seth Rogen, yes, the real Seth Rogen, was there to help his friend through it all.

I highly recommend this film. Please see it. It's one of the best of the year. It's funny, heart warming without talking down to its audience, and it hits its target without being sappy.

9 out of 10
5 *****
A+

1 comment: