Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Monday, July 11, 2011

HORRIBLE BOSSES: Do you hate your boss this much?


Do you have a boss you hate? Do you want to punch them in the face? Do you hate your job? I'm sure sometimes we've all felt these things at one time or another. In Horrible Bosses, three friends, feel it all the time, and decide to do something about it. They're going to kill their bosses. And that's when things take off into chaos as these three friends are pretty much bumbling idiots.

The film stars Jason Bateman, Charlie Day, and Jason Sudeikis as the put upon underlings up against their crass, crazy and slutty bosses: Colin Farrell, Kevin Spacey, and Jennifer Aniston (who instead of acting with her hair, acts with her body this time around). Out of all the bosses, Kevin Spacey is the most evil. From my seat, I wanted to punch his smug face into the ground. Farrell's character could have been used more, but the little screen time that he has, he goes for it. I'm not a big Aniston fan, but for her role as the one note nympho, she does a good job and goes for it sexually.

The film is okay. I didn't love it, nor did I hate it. I'm just "meh" to lukewarm about it. I laughed out loud a few times (the biggest laugh came from a set piece of a poster that hangs above the bed of Colin Farrell's character.) I enjoyed the physical humor, and wished there was more of that. It's a film that is better suited as a rental than on the big screen. But it's harmless fun, and you won't feel insulted afterward (unless you don't like the word c*ck because c*ck is used a lot).

Even though I enjoyed myself while watching it, I couldn't help thinking that it could have been funnier and even darker. It makes me wonder if the original script was darker, and the producers decided to hold back a bit. I left the theatre light hearted, but I also couldn't remember much of the dialogue, and the ending felt rushed. I do remember, however, that Jamie Foxx has some funny moments as the potential hitman, but they all came from his eyes. The eye rolls, and side glances were pitch perfect. It goes to show that a little can go a long way. I also thought that Charlie Day was delightful! I loved his performance. He's the quintessential bumbling idiot.


Grade: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment