Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Friday, June 10, 2011

XMEN: First Class: Classy film


I've seen all the Xmen Movies. I liked them, but am not a fan. I don't think I cared that much for the last one that came out a few years ago. So we now get an origin story. And it's good. It wasn't fantastic. But I liked the emotional pull of the film, and James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender are key to that connection. They play Charles Xavier and Erik Lehnsherr who will eventually become Professor X and Magneto.

The plot is this: A bad mutant, Sebastian Shaw, Kevin Bacon, wants to start WWIII and is using the Cuban missile crisis to do it. The mutants along with the CIA try to stop him. And along the way, they discover the chasm that exists between mutants and non- mutants and it's a big one. They'll never be truly respected or accepted no matter how hard they try. It really shows the ignorance of humanity. And because of this, the lines between mutants is drawn.

The film is rather long, but for the most part, it's a fun ride. I liked the 1960's backdrop and the soundtrack. I particularly really enjoyed the climactic showdown. It was tense and well acted. And thankfully, January Jones, as Emma Frost, was not participating. January Jones, once again, is the weakest link in this film. She is terrible. And some might wonder why I have such a hate on for her. And it's an annoyance on because she is a horrible actor. And I can't understand how she gets work, as I am sure there are nicer blond actresses out there who have actual talent. It's a mystery to me, so if anyone can shed light on that for me, I would appreciate it. I also felt that Jennifer Lawrence was miscast as Mystique. There was just something slightly off about her performance. I hope she pulls through as Katniss in The Hunger Games (March 2012) because I am obsessed with that book.

The summer is upon us and the superhero films are coming at us full throttle. So get ready to geek out!

Grade: B.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed the middle part og "First Class"about the psychology of being an outsider mutant, the action at the beginning and end didn't really interest me.

    I think 1, 3(about the cure), and this one are the best entries in the series.

    call me cynical, but didn't they bring in James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender for more females to go see it ?

    ReplyDelete