Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Book: The Maze Runner by James Dashner. YA FICTION


Thomas, a teenage boy with no memory, wakes up in a metal box that transports him to the glade where he meets dozens of other boys, who too, don't have memories of their lives, before they got there. All they know is that it's been two years for some of them, living there, surviving, and trying to solve the maze, and find a way home. But what is home? Where is home? And is home better or worse than where they are now?

Dashner's sci fi YA novel is full of science fiction and drama and the stakes are high. It is a battle between life and death. Strength and weakness. Trust and mistrust. And it works well in this post-apocalyptic world.

I enjoyed the book. It's well written. Characters are well drawn out. And the tension is high. It's a page turner because we never really know what's the truth. The mystery is solid, and only at the end do we get a glimpse of what really might be going on. But not too much because, after all, there's a sequel that will send these survivors on another journey. This time outside of the maze, but perhaps even more deadly.

I look forward to reading Book 2 when it arrives from the library. I'm a library whore. Sometimes reading three books at a time (started World War Z as I was finishing this one off).

I give it a solid B+ with A overtones.

No comments:

Post a Comment