Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Tina Fey's BOSSYPANTS: My pants flew off from laughter


Tina Fey's daughter, Alice, has mad swagger as she should because her mom is better than all the "night cheese" in the world. I love my mom, but I want to be adopted by Tina Fey (I have issues), so her wit and humor can spread to me.

Tina Fey is a writer. She wrote for SNL and wrote the screenplay for Mean Girls, and she's now gone full steam ahead into book form with a memoir of sorts. She writes about her childhood (getting her period, which wasn't a clear blue liquid) into her teen years (her best friends were 25 year old lesbians) into her YMCA days, and then into improv, SNL 30Rock, Sarah Palin and motherhood(Alice with the swagger in the photo above). She goes through her life with the kind of humor that is laugh out loud funny. I, literally, no exaggeration, laughed so hard that my gut was hurting. It was as though I put my abs through a workout, so, of course, I skipped going to the gym the next day. Something I think Tina Fey would approve of.

I began reading the book at the library, and couldn't put it down, nor could I stop laughing. It's very difficult to stifle laughter at the library. So I basically looked like I was having a seizure of sorts as I contorted my face and bent myself over trying to be quiet. I soon realized that I had to read the book at home. I really don't want to give away funny passages as I think it would be a disservice to readers. I want people to go in with fresh eyes, and to experience it for the first time themselves.

The first half of the book left me crying, in a good way, and I loved it as Tina talked about how she got the scar on her face, her fashion sense, puberty, and unrequited love (something I most certainly relate to). The second half wasn't as funny, yet still humourous, and a very good read. I think most of the humor comes from her observations about her childhood and coming into her own. The second half was more like tips and advice and a bit more serious observations about her life as a writer/improv actor in a male dominated field. Insightful and honest, which I appreciated.

This book has solidified my fondness for the glass wearing Brown haired woman. I already love her stuff, and I will continue to watch or read anything she does. If you're a fan of Tina Fey's, and enjoy smart, witty, honest people then this book is definitely worth a read. I will wait for the paperback version to buy it, and I know I will jump to my favourite passages and laugh, and laugh, and laugh.

1 comment:

  1. Oh - so glad to hear good things about it - I'm going to pick it up next time I'm near a bookstore!

    ReplyDelete