Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Scream 4: The Botox is the scariest thing about it


Scream 4 (I will not partake in using the 4 in place of the "a") is back, and time has not been all that kind to it. Not sure, even now, why I wanted to see the film. I remember really liking the first one, scared by it, nightmares came from it, and then not much caring for the two sequels. But I guess, in my advancing age, I got a little nostalgic.

Neve Campbell returns to the role that made her famous, Sidney Prescott, all grown up, an author, and back in Woodsboro for the last stop on her book tour. It just so happens to coincide with the anniversary of the first killing spree. A killing spree that went on to to spawn 7 sequels, called Stab (movies within the movie). The opening sequence has lots its punch, as two of the three were scenes from Stab movies. Once we get to the actual reality of the film, I didn't much care if these girls made their demise, as I didn't know who they were. The tension of Drew Barrymore's intense and memorable opening scene is so perfect with its fear and screams and emotional turmoil, that this one can't even compare in a beyond pale comparison way.

So Sidney's back, and we find out she has an aunt and a teenage cousin there played by Mary McDonnell, and Emma Roberts. The murders are happening again, and once again, Sidney is a target, along with a few teens. We also get to see Dewy and Gale married, and bored. Perhaps, art was imitating life with real life spouses, Courtney Cox and David Arquette in the roles. And this is where the movie is the scariest: Courtney Cox's face is so distracting that it's very difficult to concentrate on anything she says, or what's happening on screen. Even when she battles the killer, I kept thinking, "cut off her fish lips!"

Is time this cruel to all of us? Seeing Neve Campbell on screen was a treat though, as she's aged fairly well, but we see the ravages of time on her face as well. Which is refreshing, as her face is still real. Something we should all be grateful for.

Scream 4 is meh. I laughed here and there, but the characters were just so stupid. There's a killer on the loose, people are already dead so "I'm just gonna go hang out in my house alone since my mother is with her boyfriend." What?! At least make the characters a bit believable.

And everyone is so short in this film, but yet the killer (in the costume) isn't short, never is. So he/she/it can't possibly be the killer with any kind of logic. I know these are issues that might be suspended in disbelief, but these movies are supposed to be about pointing out these kind of issues.

I get the ending, funny, a bit, with all the fakeouts, but it was too on the nose with the dialogue. They should have just had a banner across the screen stating the theme (it would have been the same thing). I didn't find it nearly as funny as the first one. But there are some nice moments here and there, but few and far between.

I did enjoy Hayden Panettiere in her role. It's the first time I've liked her on screen, and I thought she shined in her role.

I hear that this is the beginning of a new trilogy. But I really can't see where it can go now. It's dead. It's done. Beating a dead horse in the head with another dead horse doesn't bring it (or Cox's face) back to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment