Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Toronto On the Big Screen: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World


It took me a while, but I have finally gotten around in seeing Scott Pilgrim vs The World. I had every intention of seeing it on the big screen when it was first released, but I just never got around to it, and the guilt has been eating away at me. Guilty feelings due to the fact that the film is set in Toronto, and filmed in Toronto, and showcases Toronto in all its "Torontoness". It was nice to see a Canadian city on screen as the actual city it is. Toronto and Vancouver tend to pretend to be New York City, or Chicago most of the time when a big Hollywood movie comes into town.

The film is fun. I enjoyed it. I laughed more than I thought I would. I found the characters to be well drawn out for the most part. I did question the actual world/reality of this film as it jumped around from a real Toronto setting into a computer game tone with special effects to match. (which I'm sure is a comic book thing, a comic I've never read. I stopped reading comics when I was 12 and I only ever read Archie anyway).

Scott is a 22, a slacker, a hipster in a band without a job, who shares a tiny apartment with his gay roommate (Kieran Culkin), and they share one bed (don't ask, it's funny). He continues to nurse a broken heart from a year ago. He ends up dating a highschooler in the beginning of the film, an absolutely delightful Ellen Wong as Knives Chau. Ellen is great and I hope she has a very successful career because I, for one, would love to see her again on screen. Anyway, Scott's dating life is platonic and childish and the basis for much ridicule. The relationship doesn't last long as once Scott sets his eyes on Ramona Flowers, (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) the girl who colours her hair every week, it's all over for Knives (much to her hearthbreak). Scott falls for Ramona hard, but must battle her deadly exes in order to win her heart. The strongest thing about this film is the actors. They are all perfectly suited to their roles. I really enjoyed all the supporting players. The standout being, of course, Ellen Wong as Knives Chau. However, the weakest link is probably Scott Pilgrim himself, Michael Cera. And not because he doesn't do a good job, he does. It's just the same character he's always played and that's boring. I really hope Cera can break out of the slacker geek roles and create something new and fresh, otherwise he'll be left behind and forgotten.

See this movie if you're in the mood for some lighthearted silliness with a bit of comic special effects. It has its heart in the right place, and a cast of characters who are memorable, and actors who obviously enjoyed filming this movie. And with that kind of energy, it's definitely contagious.

1 comment:

  1. Without commenting heavily on the film I recommend checking out the comic series. You can get the whole thing as a box set pretty cheap now. It really is fantastic, and as a resident of Toronto you'll appreciate just "how Toronto" it is - whilst at the same time telling a really sweet story about two people figuring out how to be and fall in love.

    ReplyDelete