Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Monday, January 31, 2011

The King's Speech: Royalty at its best



For those of you who know me, you know that I can't stand Monarchies in reality. I don't believe that a certain person is elevated above someone else just because they were born into a family. This blue blood mentality is a farce, and is a disservice to the human race. That being said, I enjoy a good story told well on screen, and monarchies should be left up there on film, and done away with in reality in this day and age. Anyway...

The King's Speech is the story of King George (whatever number that follows his name) and his struggle with stammering. King George is Queen Elizabeth's father, and was the voice of hope for many during WWII. The radio was all the rage, and King George, Bertie to his family and friends, is forced to speak in public and it has disastrous results. He seeks help from numerous sources, and nothing works, until his wife, played by Helena Bonham Carter, finds Lionel Logue (Geoffrey Rush), a speech therapist, with unorthodox practices. King George, played by the ever charming and lovely Colin Firth (every Woman's Mr. Darcy!!!!) has a temper along with a stutter, but shows how scared and vulnerable underneath he truly is. King George is thrust onto the throne due to his brother Edward (Guy Pearce looking worse for wear) abdicating for love. This forces him to dig deeper into why he stutters, as it's not just a mechanical issue, but emotional as well.

The film is most definitely a feel good story, and one can't help but clap and cheer for all on screen. The performances are wonderful. I hope Firth wins the Oscar. But I felt that Geoffrey Rush was the best part of the film, his Lionel is a wonderful man, a commoner who butts heads with royalty in such a way that I couldn't help being drawn into his own story arc and life. The story has many funny, laugh out loud moments, and the look of the film is lovely. An historical drama/comedy that is a visual story is a breath of fresh air.

Go see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment