Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Film Review: TRUE GRIT



I grew up watching westerns and ninja movies (with a father and an older brother in firm control of the television dial, I had little choice), so I am familiar with the western genre and at times a fan. The Coen Brothers return to the big screen with an adaptation of the book True Grit (and apparently not a remake of the film that starred John Wayne), and it's a very well made film. I enjoyed it. I found it to be intelligent, visually well filmed, and intriguing. I got sucked right into this world where outlaws, gunslingers and quoting the bible ruled.

We follow Mattie Ross (Hailee Steinfeld) as she hires a Marshall (Jeff Bridges) to track down the man (Josh Brolin) who shot and killed her father. Hailee Steinfeld is wonderful as the teen out for revenge. She is a tomboy, smart, rough, and ready for justice, no matter what. I was riveted by her performance. She should receive an Academy Award nomination as best actress. Bridges and Matt Damon are well suited in their roles as well.

The movie is doing exceptionally well at the box office. Perhaps it could be the catalyst for a Western resurgence. I'm sure Hollywood will jump on this bandwagon. Let's just hope that the quality is as high as this one.

2 comments:

  1. It's a hero;s journey process, as per the discussion at http://www.clickok.co.uk/index4.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely. It's very much a classic story. I'm glad that it has a female lead as we need more of these kind of stories that don't revolve around getting a man, or being pretty etc.

    ReplyDelete