Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

"Celebrities" who think they can "write" pisses me off



Sigh. Here we go again. A great way to start off the new year with yet another "celeb" or reality star who thinks she can write a fictional novel . In the past we've had the likes of Nicole Richie, Lauren Conrad, and Pamela Anderson. And in 2011, we get Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi, a girl known for being short, orange and showcasing the bumpit hair style that you see on late night infomercials, and who has been quoted as saying that she's only read two books in her life, one of them being "Twilight" (should I even finish this blog entry? Sigh again)

I won't go into details about her reality show or why she is famous. Even those of us who don't watch MTV still know about her as we are inundated with it everywhere. There really is no escape unless you live under a rock (and I don't like the under side of slime creeping over my skin, so I'm screwed!) Even writing about this gives me pain. The pain I feel when I see the word AUTHOR next to a name like "Snooki". It gives me pain realizing that talented writers out there are being bypassed for crap like this.

Even the synopsis of this book isn't well written, and you'd think the editor or publishers could have at least jazzed that part up a bit. Before July ends, the bonds of family and friendship will be stretched to the breaking point. Will the haters prevail, or will Gia and Bella find love at the Shore? Can't you just feel the tension and conflict????

Don't get me wrong, I love my chick lit. Good chick lit. Well written chick lit is just a romantic comedy on the page instead of on the screen. Celebs who think they can write, or who hire a ghost writer and pass it off as their own just deadens the literary world a little bit more. The only hope, we, lovers of books and writers of prose or poetry or screenplays, have is that the book doesn't sell, because if I see best selling author beside "Snooki" I may just have to poke my eyes out and pour lemon juice into them as that would be a better option that reading any sequel that would come our way.

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of her. On another note though, you do realize that you have to read this book now, right? I'm kind of tempted to buy it for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nooooooooooo! That is just the most evil present ever. I almost didn't post this entry due to the fact that I didn't want to give it any attention :) If you buy this, I will BURN YOUR BLOG!! :)

    ReplyDelete