Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Monday, November 8, 2010

Movie Thoughts: DUE DATE


It has laughs. Some gross out humor. Cute dog. Prancing Zach Galifianakis in acid washed jeans. But it also has a mean spirit to it. There was just something mean about the characters and their situations. That being said, I did laugh and I enjoyed it for the most part, but nothing really new was said. It's a road trip film. Nothing much more than that.

Robert Downey Jr's Peter Highman gets kicked off a plane due to Zach Galifianakis' Ethan Tremblay. Without a wallet or money, Peter can't rent a car so he has to hitch a ride with Ethan as they're both heading to LA. Peter, to get home to his pregnant wife, and Ethan, to make it in Hollywood. And like all movie cliches, chaos ensues!

There's a pit stop for pot, a pot stop, Juliette Lewis making a pretty good cameo as the pot dealer. Then there's most of the money being spent on said pot, no motel money so they sleep in a car where the only thing that makes Ethan fall asleep is masturbating before bed. You get the gross out humor part, right? A shot of his dog masturbating could have been cut. Not sure why masturbating animals are funny. Anyway, more stuff happens. A car wreck. A gun shot. Truth is 2 days later, I don't remember much more.

The film fills you up in the moment, but like msg filled food, it's forgotten hours later. The saving grace really are the two leads. If it weren't for them this film would not have been made or even enjoyable. Don't get me wrong, I laughed and a couple of times I laughed hard, I just can't remember the scenes.

The issue might be that there are 4 writers credited on the film, one of which is the director. Too many writers means too many cooks in that cliched kitchen. This film needed John Hughes because it's a poor man's Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (a movie I need to rent asap)

1 comment: