Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Friday, November 12, 2010

MEGAMIND: Not so Mega, more like Megokay


I went to see MEGAMIND for one reason and that's Tina Fey! If she's is involved with a film then I'm there. No question. I used to go to every animated film out there, but that's changed over the years and I'm much more picky. Pixar tends to win out most of the time, along with Disney depending on the story. So I was on the fence about MEGAMIND until the Tina Fey connection so I went. It's an okay animated feature. But not a film that will stand the test of time. It had funny moments. The voice work was excellent, but the dialogue rather dull. Nothing really jumps. At least, it wasn't referencing pop culture every five minutes like the Shrek movies do. Will Ferrell did a good job as the protagonist, the evil villian. Brad Pitt's work was rather forgettable. It took me a while to figure out whose voice it was. His character, the superhero, of MetroMan was bland and he's barely in the film, which is a good thing. This story belongs to Megamind and to some degree Tina Fey's character, Roxanne Ritchi. I also have to give a shout out to David Cross who plays the alien fish, Minion, with such glee that it had me smiling whenever he was on screen.

The story is simple, Megamind came to earth as a baby (as did MetroMan) via an identical origin story to Superman. They sort of grow up together, one the good guy (so annoyingly good that he was kind of a jerk) and the other labeled the bad guy. So Megamind did what any self-respecting alien with no real superhero powers would do, he became the best villain that he could be by using his megamind! He creates gadgets, and lairs, and kidnaps Roxanne on what appears to be a weekly basis. But when Megamind finally "defeats" MetroMan, something he's dreamed of doing, well he's bored. There's nothing to do for him now that he has everything he's ever wanted. So he creates a new superhero that he can fight, but this hero is an antihero and Megamind is forced to become the Hero, a thought that he's non-too pleased about.

The film forces Megamind to change and grow and to not pigeonhole himself. Something we all do in real life. It's only when Megamind takes the chance of being something else that he truly finds himself.

It's a cute film. But a rental.

No comments:

Post a Comment