Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Why I won't go see the film, Life as We Know It (I'd rather let Fergie punch me in the face with her shoe)



There is poop on her face. Baby poop on her cheek. That scene alone keeps me away. If that's the kind of humor that this film is showcasing then I say "no, thanks!" and this coming from a poop and fart joke kind of spinster. Sigh. How can an intelligent character not know she has poop on her face? And how is this in anyway original, it's in every freaking movie that involves a baby and inept parents.

The title is boring and unoriginal. It's a song lyric, an old tv show, it says nothing about what the film is about. The trailer has nothing new about it. There wasn't one original line of dialogue or scene. Every cliché ever created for that genre was evident. And I like clichés when they serve a purpose. This film is for the Mini Van Majority or are they a Minority? I do not fit into that demographic. It looks like those Soccer Moms got a babysitter last weekend and had a girl's night out to see some eye candy (Josh Duwhatever) and laugh at their own baby predicaments (hence the #2 position at the box office). Which is fine, I suppose. I just wish they get a babysitter when indie movies come out.

I am not a fan of Katherine Heigl or Josh Duhamel, in fact, they are two actors that I try to avoid as much as possible. Even the alluring and lovely Christina Hendricks can't make me go see this movie.

I'll be blunt, this film looks Freaking STUPID! Dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. I highly doubt the script, written by Ian Deitchman and Kristin Rusk Robinson, has any insight into the human experience or condition. Then again, does it have to? Is it just a mindless romp in the world of domestic bliss? A couple of hours to leave the brain at the door? I'm not against movies like that. I've seen plenty. But for me, for some reason, when it's this genre, that is geared towards women, I take a bit of offense to it because I want more for us, regardless of marital status, career or where we stand on procreation. I want us to not only be entertained, but challenged as well.

1 comment:

  1. I will stand with you Mary! Totally predictable crap. No way I'm spending my money or time on it. I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't get the Heigl OR Duhamel appeal.

    ReplyDelete