Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Hereafter: A Silence of Conspiracy


Death affects us all. Each of us experience it from the one side, the life side, but one day we'll experience it from the other side. Nobody can avoid it. It's part of life. Hereafter, written by Peter Morgan (The Queen) explores death, but not so much the grief of losing a loved one, but the idea of life after death. Is there life after death? Or does it all turn black?

Three stories from three countries explore this theme. In San Franciso we meet George Lonegan, played by Matt Damon, who can speak to the dead. "A curse," he calls it, while his brother, played by Jay Mohr sees it as a "gift" that can make money. In France, we get to know Marie LeLay (C├ęcile De France) who survived a tsunami that opens the film, and through her near death experience, she begins to question life and what she felt. And when she asks questions she is met with walls as nobody wants to talk about death. And finally in England, a young boy, a twin, dies, and his brother, Marcus, is left alone, lost and confused without him.

Eventually all stories will connect at the end, and I liked how they were told. When I felt tired with one story line, it would then jump to another one. Good timing and editing. Could it be slow? Sure. But this is a film that you have to pay attention to. It's not the best film about death and the after life. It's slow and methodical. I did go in with low expectations because of previous reviews, so that perhaps is a reason why I liked it. I didn't have anything to lose. I was also pleasantly surprised by Damon's storyline and how it plays out with Bryce Dallas Howard's character. I won't give it away, but it doesn't turn out the way you'd expect. I liked that. I also think that Cecile De France is wonderful and I hope to see her in more films.

1 comment:

  1. Spot on review; couldn't agree more. I felt the opening sequence packed great power without being exploitative Hollywood CGI B.S., and the hotel room scene between George (Damon) and Marcus (the boy!) was beautiful and painful.

    ReplyDelete