Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Friday, October 29, 2010

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest: A weak Kick



Lisbeth Salander returns for the final installment of the millenium trilogy and this is the weakest of the bunch. That doesn't mean it's not good, but could it have been better? Yes, or maybe not. I haven't read the last book so I am not sure what's been taken out.

The film's issue is that Lisbeth, a character who doesn't talk much anyway, is pretty much mute in this film. She spends much of the film healing from being shot and buried alive in the last film and then it becomes a court case movie. It's meant to be a thriller, but it's sort of obvious where it's all going to end up.

More of the focus shifts to Mikael Blomkvist played by Michael Nyqvist (perfect in his role) and his journey out to prove that Lisbeth has been treated horribly by the very institutions that were meant to be protect her. There's a coverup, and a conspiracy, not to mention rape and torture as well. Lisbeth has had pretty much every horrible thing that can happen to a girl, happen to her. We understand even more why she is the way she is. That kind of betrayal stays with someone, and no wonder she has walls built around her that are made out of steel. I would too.

Lisbeth is charged with attempted murder of her father, Zalachenko, the scum of the earth. It's not really clear as to why Lisbeth is singled out when she's the victim. But through lost records, or rather hidden records, the truth is eventually revealed. But not before Lisbeth, who has felt she's never been heard, arrives in court with a kick-ass mohawk, piercings all over her face and leather. It's her way of saying "fuck you" to the court system. To the governmental system that put her there in the first place, who destroyed the little girl's trust.

However, the movie isn't over after the court case. There is one last physical battle to be fought. The battle is predictable in its approach, but satisfying nonetheless as Lisbeth has her final revenge.

I grew to care for Lisbeth Salander, played wonderfully by Noomi Rapace, and I hope that in her fictional world, she has found some kind of solace and trust and most of all, love.

No comments:

Post a Comment