Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps...Yawn.


With so much talent behind this film, one would think that something with substance would be made. Something new would be said. That Oliver Stone is going to make a statement about money, greed, materialism, family, and government. Instead, we get a film about tired cliches and boring scenes and relationships.

The film begins in 2000 when Gordon Gekko is released from jail for some kind of money fraud. There's some bullshit voice over narration by Shia LaBeouf. I can't remember what was said, but it was meant to probably be profound, philosophical or poetic. But who knows! Within a few moments, we are then transported to 2008, the year Wall Street imploded upon itself. We get a glimpse into the opulent lifestyle of the money types, one scene at a charity party lingered on the giant baubles worn by socialites for what felt like 5 minutes. We get the point, Stone! These people wear their money on their lobes, but do we need a badly edited sequence to get that message across?

It was a ridiculous film with a ridiculous cameo by Charlie Sheen. Charlie Sheen should be embarrassed (not only for being a terrible husband) but by his acting in this film. Why is he even in this film? And why would Gordon Gekko even look at him, let alone have a superficial asinine conversation with him? Anyway, not only is the script weak, the editing and actual film itself is amateurish. It's just a mess. A rich mess. You've got long lost fathers with estranged daughters, accidental pregnancies, cracker jack engagement rings, forced redemption and a pretty Hollywood ending with a nice tiny bow all tied up.

I don't know why this film was made. I don't know what the message was meant to be. Truth is, I don't care. And when a movie makes you not care at all then it's a failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment