Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Short and Sweet and to the point Book Review: ONE DAY


Let's just get down to the basics. Is this book, One Day by David Nicholls, worth a read? Yes! Yes! Yes! It's a quick read, but don't lump it into the chick lit pile or think it's just a beach read because it is so much more than that. It's layered and complex and emotionally engaging. It beautifully captures the 20 year relationship between a man and a woman, and not all of it is romantic. It's about a friendship that goes through the wringer and somehow survives.

Each chapter takes place on the same day of each year from 1988 to 2008, jumping back and forth from Emma Morley's perspective to Dexter Mayhew's narration. I couldn't put the book down because I wanted to know what happens to them. I could relate to Emma's experiences and feelings as she navigates life from a young adult to a woman nearing 40. I also wanted to punch Dexter in the face on more than one occasion. Nicholls does a wonderful job in getting into these characters' heads and making them come alive and pop off that page. The ending, although I felt something coming for some reason, left me raw and vulnerable. I haven't had such an emotional reaction to a book in quite some time. It felt heavy in my hand towards the end for two reasons: I was sad to have the book end as I grew to care for these characters and their lives, and it was heavy also due to my heart breaking in a way. It is a very satisfying book as it makes you laugh, cringe, and probably cry.

Certain books are created, hopefully, to give us a look into the human experience. To connect us. To make us feel alive when our own lives sometimes feel mundane. Unaware that the mundane parts of life are what make up our lives.

A film starring Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess is in the works. I can't wait to see it, but I will have to ready myself emotionally and bring lots of tissues.

2 comments:

  1. We should make a date to see it together! I think it'll be quite lovely - the team behind it seems to be a good match.
    And like you said, it would be very easy to slush this off as a romance novel, but it's so much grander than that. It's about what happens to people over time. It's a time capsule. And it's quite lovely, and I'm not afraid to admit that I had to stop reading it in the subway at one point in fear of crying in public.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bring the tissues to the cinema!! Am really interested in seeing how Hathaway does in this role, and the accent!

    ReplyDelete