Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Monday, September 6, 2010

BROADWAY: Next to Normal



It has taken me 19 years to get my ass back to New York City and see a broadway show. I chose one show to see (I could have seen more, but the city has lots to do), so I chose the Tony award winning and Pulitzer prize winning musical, Next to Normal, and I am glad that I did.

It's a rock musical about a family dealing with secrets and heartache and battling manic depression and what that does to the whole family, from marital relationships, to parental and child relationships all the way to our relationships with prescription medications.

I wasn't prepared to be hit emotionally by this musical. It left me raw and vulnerable at the end, but also optimistic without having a nice pink bow wrapped around it and forced down my throat. I had to stop myself from sobbing too much as I didn't want to disrupt the others around me :) and I also had plans afterwards and didn't bring makeup to freshen up my face. Looking in the mirror at the end, there was definite puffiness and redness around my eyes. Sigh! And I'm glad there was. This is what a musical/theatre/art should do to someone. It should connect with us on some level. It should make us feel something within or even outside of ourselves. I think there's a part of all of us who feels like an "invisible girl".

PS. It made me want to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment