Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

THE EXPENDABLES: Or would you like another explosion, sir?


Okay, here goes...I liked The Expendables for its pure ridiculous nature. It's silly and fun, and action packed with no discernable plot. But who cares! Does this film need more character development? Perhaps. But why ruin action with such trifling things?? I am joking because ultimately if this film had all those elements and a strong plot then it'd be an awesome ride. It's not a perfect action film, but it has heart to it. I really felt that those involved gave it their all and wanted to bring back some old school 80's action.

Sylvester Stallone and his ragtag group of mercenaries shoot 'em up and blow 'em up and save the girl without barely getting a scratch. Most of the cast are indeed expendable. We catch a glimpse into Stallone's character and it's cliched, but works within the walls of this film. Mickey Rourke, who is a retired mercenary, gives a poignant speech about why he left and the loss of his soul in a way. It's a bit cheesy, but at the same time, I actually believed him and found it to be a true moment in film jam packed with action.

The fight sequences are fun with lots of things being blown up or ripped into shreds (body parts included). I wasn't a fan of the unrealistic cgi blood splatter. That sort of thing works in a film like 300, but just doesn't lend itself to this world that is meant to be based in some sort of reality.

If you're a child of the 80's or anyone who remembers the 80's and those Action packed films that filled that decade then The Expendables might be a ride you'd like to take.

1 comment:

  1. *Sniff sniff*. As one child of the 80s to another, you're my hero. If I took your blog title literally, I'd propose right now. Well said; I doth heartily concur.

    ReplyDelete