Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

My SENTIMENTS on the film KICK ASS






To play on words I'm gonna say it. KICK ASS kicks ass! And I am not ashamed to say that this Spinster is wishing she were a foul mouthed 11 year old with a panache for violent gunplay and the vocab stylings of a mafioso.

The film is slow to start and I actually had the sinking feeling that I was going to be disappointed in the film. I kept waiting for something exciting to happen. It might have been due to the fact of VOICE OVER used in large parts during the First Act. It sort of slowed things down for me. But once HIT GIRL was introduced into the mix it started to speed up.

This film is all HIT GIRL's. She is the STAR of this film. Everyone else, although good in their roles, pale in comparison to her utter charm and complete fierceness. She is someone I would NEVER want to meet in a dark alley or even a well lit promenade. Hit Girl is played by Chloe Moretz who has, hopefully, a wonderful future for her in Hollywood. (fingers crossed that she doesn't go the Lindsey Lohan route of fucking up her life)

I laughed so much during the second part of the film that I think my spleen shifted. And the laughter really is due to the "I can't believe what I just saw/heard" factor. The amount of violence is awe inspiring and so over the top, yet realistic in a way, that I was in shock, in a good way. This isn't pretend spiderman or superman type of killing of the bad guys, and sometimes the bad guys weren't that bad to warrant swords through their guts, but Hit Girl thinks otherwise and who am I to argue with her. KICK ASS is a realistic violent superhero flick without being too serious or pretentious about itself like Watchmen was.

All I can say is that this film is not for the faint of heart. If you have issues with 11 year olds saying c*nt or motherf*cker then don't see this.

Don't be surprised if there's a sequel. It was left open for such a possibility. It really now depends on its box office tally. I for one, am eager to see HIT GIRL in her own feature length film. I also plan on buying a purple wig soon.

And since writers never get their dues in films, unless a reviewer wants to trash the 'screenplay'. I give Jane Goldman (yay!! a female writer!) and Matthew Vaughn a motherf*ckin' 21 Bazooka salute!

P.S. SPOILER TALK

I want a jet pack!

1 comment:

  1. Chloe Moretz and Nicolas Cage were pure awesome. But I totally disagree on the script. It was riddled with more holes than a rat-eaten piece of Swiss cheese, and the holes were large enough to maneuver a jumbo jet through (or, just barely large enough for me to...ehem...)

    ReplyDelete