Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Friday, April 23, 2010

My SENTIMENTS on the film THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO


I liked this film, but I didn't much care for her actual tattoo. It was disappointing, and looked rather cheesy. But that's a minor nitpick.

A fairly good mystery unfolds in the film. The beginning had some challenging moments to get through as the plot weaved between two characters. I liked the European style of filmmaking where things aren't instantly revealed and characters are multi-layered and damaged. Not for the squeamish as some parts are quite graphic.

The Swedish language isn't all that pleasing to the ear. But take heart, the action and performances are well worth the reading of subtitles, and by putting in the effort for this foreign film, I think you'll be rewarded. The film runs a bit on the long side. But I am interested now in reading the books.

Noomi Rapace plays Lisbeth, the girl with the dragon tattoo, but don't let the title fool you, she shares the screen equally with Michael Nyqvist. I did think she was a bit too old to play the character. Her real age, which looks a bit weathered, doesn't pass that well for 24. But the character of Lisbeth has lead a hard life, so she wouldn't look fresh faced at any age, even as a child.

There are two scenes, well three really, that are wonderfully acted and downright hard to watch. It involves violence that is just so humiliating beyond comprehension. And I have to say is that I haven't HATED a film character like this in a long time. I won't say who the character is whom I abhor and want to smash his head in with a fucking fire poker, but if you watch the film you can guess as to who I am speaking about.

Hollywood is remaking this film, which sucks because it's already been made and doesn't need to be Americanized. Oh, well. As of right now, Carey Mulligan is rumored to be playing Lisbeth, (Love her!) and she would be interesting to see in this role, but I am quite content with the original actor's portrayal. Lisbeth is a deeply disturbed and damaged character, which any actor would love to sink her teeth into.

The film is written by Nikolaj Arcel and Rasmus Heisterberg (adapted from the novel by Stieg Larsson).

No comments:

Post a Comment