Singleton + Writer + Book Lover + Moviegoer = Screen Spinster

Welcome to the loneliest blog on the web. I have no words of wisdom to espouse. (why does espouse sound so much like spouse? Is that word trying to rub it into my spinster brain?) Anyway, I don't own a cat. Never will. I don't cook, nor do I sew or knit, but I do spin a yarn (tale) from time to time. I have no domestic talents, I am not a domestic engineer/goddess, nor do I want to be. I'll sometimes post my views on scripts, (mine & yours or theirs) movies, television shows and maybe theatre, along with my own musings usually in the style of a poem. So pull up a rocking chair, sit back as your cherry pie bakes and stay a while if you like.

Monday, April 26, 2010

THE LOSERS (sentiments and opinions)


I enjoyed this film for what it was. A big screen adaptation of a comic book/graphic novel(too lazy to look up which one) I laughed out loud at times at the ridiculousness of some of the situations, but I thought those situations were ideal for this genre.

The Losers is your basic set up of a group of mercenaries who get betrayed and then framed, and pretend to be dead in order to get revenge on the guy who fucked them over. The villain, MAX, played by Jason Patrick in a tongue in cheek kind of way is a lot of fun to watch because at times he is just so silly and diabolical as well.

The film is not meant to be based in reality so suspend your belief and just go for the ride.

I love Jeffrey Dean Morgan (he will always be DENNY to me) and he was great in his role as the leader of the ragtag team. I am not a fan of Chris Evans, he's sort of a bland actor and mostly forgettable, but he was fun in his role here for being the doofus (also I want to own the t-shirts he wears in the film) But overall, one of the higlights of the film is Zoe Saldana who is a physical "knockout" in this picture. And by knockout I mean she kicks butt and holds her own with all the testosterone floating around her.

I am drawn to strong female characters and lately have been fortunate to see them shine on screen (the losers, kick ass, girl with the dragon tattoo)

The script itself could use some work if I really wanted to be nit-picky. But I don't want to be that lady. Some of the characters are one dimensional and border on the cliche, but it's a comic action film! I think this is a film that you'll either enjoy for what it is, or hate, thinking it's lame. I would recommend going in with no expectations and you might be pleasantly surprised.

oh, and I should mention again that I wanna do the horizontal mambo with Jeffrey Dean Morgan. Dear God! That man can make the women swoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment